CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

First blooms of summer

I grew up with two grandmothers who gardened. They had very different styles. Grandma Evans had a very manicured, structured garden. I loved her rose bushes and bench under the tree. Grandma Dykes had a very organic, almost bohemian style garden with gorgeous irises, columbines, coral bells, etc. I approached my yard with the memory and love of both gardens, melding the two styles together. I love pulling up to our house after a long day of work and seeing blooms that remind me of each. The roses are now blooming, my day lilies are sunny and the columbine has gone absolutely crazy. I always think that the spring bulbs are my favorite until I see the summer garden in full display. It makes every back breaking hour spent weeding and tending worth the effort.







3 comments:

Melinda said...

So beautiful! Flowers, and seasons in general, mean more and more to me as I get older. Or maybe it's just from living in seasonless soCal for so many years. In any event, the flowers are gorgeous! I envy you!

Deborah said...

Your yard looks gorgeous! Want to come work on mine?? :)

Denice said...

Your yard always looks so nice. If you miss the pruning while you are here visiting...you are welcome to have at it in my flower beds. :)