CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Michael Jackson Dies at Age 50

Unexpected news this afternoon that music legend Michael Jackson has died at the age of 50 after going in to cardiac arrest. His conflicting legacy makes me feel sad. I LOVED Michael Jackson - I remember listening to Off The Wall and being blown away by his talent. It wasn't the vapid disco melodies that caught my ear but his vocal prowess. Then came Thriller and thus began the King of Pop! My sisters can attest to my obsession. My basement bedroom walls had been our canvas of graffiti on drywall - it was soon covered floor to ceiling with Michael posters and magazine pages. Eventually, even the ceiling was papered. I had the pictures, pins, jacket, albums, etc. I remember watching him perform Billie Jean on a televised tribute to Berry Gordy and doing the moonwalk for the first time. I was at Kim Uriarti's house and couldn't believe what I had just seen.



Sadly, his musical, performing and business brilliance were overshadowed in later years by his difficulties; legal, financial and self-image issues. My children have no concept of Michael Jackson as anything other than a punchline. During his child molestation trial, Maddie said his mug shot was freaky and I remember telling her what an extraordinary talent he had been and what an amazing performer he was. I can't help but feel he was a child who never got to be a child who became a man who didn't know how to be a man. He was iconic, he was odd, he was reclusive. It's heartbreaking to know that he will be remembered as much for his tabloid tales as he will for changing the face of music. Artistically, he rocked my world. May he rest in peace.

3 comments:

Stacie said...

Tamera, I feel totally the same way! I was really saddened at the news that he had passed away. I will always remember him the way he was during that Billy Jean performance. At the top of his game. Today, I saw a group of teenage boys in our church parking lot. They had a "Man in the Mirror" blaring out of their car. They were laughing and whooping about how "Michael Jackson Rocks". It actually made me sad, because I really think they were making fun. They didn't understand, what he did for the 80's and what he did for music. What he did to help me figure out who I was, when I was still trying to figure it out.
I remember you then...with the pins and the posters, and that night at my house when he was burned during the pepsi commercial filming, you were the one who called to tell the rest of us to turn on the T.V. Good memory's
May he rest in peace!

Cindy said...

I was telling my own children of your obsession and the way your bedroom looked. It is sad that he never got the help he needed, and never felt comfortable in his own skin. I hope that wherever he is now, he feels whole and knows of the love and adoration so many people had for him and his incredible musical talent. Thank you for your post.

Denice said...

A perfect tribute Tam!