CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, December 3, 2009

New Challenge, New Opportunity

In light of the current economic situation, I remind myself each day to be grateful for the fact that I have a decent job. While I enjoy the challenge of managing labor, there are days when I would happily walk away from the stress and pressure of trying to keep up with everything. The past few weeks have been incredibly stressful as Acosta began the realignment of the labor structure. I have worked as the Intermountain West Unit Manager for the SuperValu banner for the past 2 years. There were 4 other Unit Managers in our region so everyone knew there would be job cuts as part of the restructuring. I hoped that my performance and success in managing the unique and rarely consistent piece that is SuperValu would help to secure me a place in the new plans.

The new assignments are being released and I have been given a new assignment to be the Area Manager for the Kroger banner. I will be the point person who interacts with the Kroger team for all reset and project work that needs to be done in the Western region. It's overwhelming as I survey all that I need to learn but I know I can do it. I will also be the point person for SuperValu for the first few weeks so if I seem a bit blurry eyed next time you see me, you'll know why. Besides the change in accounts, we will be switching to a geographic assignment for associates we manage. I will no longer be the direct supervisor for associates in Montana, which is, quite frankly, a relief! It's a beautiful place to visit - a nearly impossible place to find relatively sane employees in! I don't know my exact geographic assignment yet but I do know I'll be managing associates closer to home. It will be tough to say goodbye to some of my best employees in Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada, etc. but I am looking forward to taking on something new. I will also be the back-up for my supervisor in Denver so I will be working very closely with her over the next few months.

To my knowledge, there will be no pay increase to go with these changes, but I remind myself that I am fortunate to be one of the 3 managers that remain. In times like these, that has to be the reward in and of itself. I am still employed, I have new associates to train and grow with and I have no fear of being bored. The Kroger assignment also completes my banner trifecta - I will be the only IMW manager who has worked Associated Foods/Harmons, SuperValu and Kroger. I may not love every single minute of what I do, but I'm fortunate to have hours where I'm too busy to even worry about whether or not I love it!

6 comments:

Melinda said...

What a compliment that they want to keep you. Good luck!

Sunshine Marketing said...

way to go sis! Happy for you but sad that they are taking FULL ADVANTAGE of how fantastic you are!

Deborah said...

I'm sure you're relieved to still have a job. I had to take a pay cut, but I am also just happy to have a job right now. I know you will do a great job in your new position...and when things get stressful, you have plenty of people who love you to lean on. :)

Denice said...

I know it is really stressful for you but you are such a hard worker and I am so glad they see that! Hang in there!!

Molly Campbell said...

I'm glad you still have a job, that's a relief! Good luck learning all the new stuff!

Paul & Cassie said...

Excellent!! I am so glad they have recognized and appreciated all of your hard work. It paid off!! I know you will do a fantastic job and I am glad that you won't have to travel as far. You are amazing. You are wonder woman. I love you!!